Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Travel Tuesday: Lehi


   I would call it World Travel Wednesday, but it is Tuesday, and since tomorrow is August 1st and I am participating in the City Daily Photo Blog's theme day, I will just call it Travel Tuesday.

   Let us travel today to the big city. Lehi, Utah can be found east of Cedar Fort, about 18 miles down State Route 73. It used to be a small town. It probably has not been as small as Cedar Fort in a century or so, but by Utah standards it is a city now.
In Lehi you will find this world famous structure. Many of you may have seen this building in the original Footloose film starring Kevin Bacon. The city slicker Eastern kid is dragged out to rural Utah by his mother. He finds himself in a town that doesn't allow dancing. So he takes it upon himself to show them the error of their ways and plans a dance at the Lehi Roller Mills, and mayhem ensues.

   The film was made in several of the local towns in Utah County, including Lehi, American Fork, Provo and Payson. The remake was a pathetic attempt to cash in on the current 80's revival. But I digress.

   Back when that film was made the mill could be seen from the nearby interstate but it was relatively isolated on the outskirts of Lehi. In fact in the film there are several shots of the mill shot from across wide green pastures.
It is the Utah I remember growing up in. Those were the days.

   When I set up this night shot I had to frame in really tight to exclude the surrounding fast food establishments and utility wires that now mar the view.
The streaks in foreground are from the constant flow of traffic that now frequent the east end of Main Street in Lehi. From the view from the interstate now the mill is lost in blur of noise and whirling urban sprawl. What a shame.

   Lehi has one or two redeeming qualities, the first of which is that is where my wife, Angie, is from, so I hope she does not mind me poking a little fun at the little City of Lehi. ;-)
   The other redeeming qualities I am still looking for... Seriously tho it is a very pretty little city once you drive a few blocks away from the interstate exits.

No comments:

Post a Comment