Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Annual Cedar Fort Water Fight

An aquatic skirmish in the intersection near my home. The dark Ford delivered an effective broadside while the white Chevrolet dripped away down the street to fight other battles.

The annual Cedar Fort water fight is a tradition that happens each July 23rd and is said to have begun in the 1920's by a bunch of mischievous young men that had learned of a slumber party being attended by the young women of the town. The boys gathered up water in buckets from the town ditches and thoroughly doused the slumber party. 

Local boys taking their best shot. One of the water grenades struck me in the abdomen but bounced off harmlessly and exploded on the ground. Ha! I am waterproof!

The following July 23rd the girls returned the dousing in kind and so the tradition was born. It continues to this day, every July 23rd, as the young folks of Cedar Fort and neighboring towns prepare days in advance with coolers full of water balloons super-soaker water cannons and hoses with high pressure and long ranges. The better to reach out and drench someone. And by someone I mean anyone, because everyone is fair game, as I soon learned.

This young man cornered me when I was out photographing fire trucks for Fire Engine Friday. I was able to dodge the balloon and return home unscathed.


In three water fights I have had my car drenched and been hit with balloons twice, but I have yet to get wet. Having said that, I believe I may have just painted a target on my back for next year. 

The result of a direct hit by a well aimed bucket of icy cold water.
The local paper did a story on this annual event and can be found at the Daily Herald
Cedar Fort Residents Celebrate with Water

No comments:

Post a Comment