Monday, July 20, 2009

Sentimental Journey


My fascination with World War II aircraft is no secret.
This week one of the most famous aircraft of that era is going to be sitting at Elko Airport from Monday lunchtime until Friday at 11am. The B-17 Flying Fortress.
The B-17 in question (this engine belongs to her) is the 100% restored B-17G, Sentimental Journey, of the Arizona Wing of the Commemorative Air Force.

I took a sneak peek at this beautifully restored aircraft Sunday while it was on static display at the Historic Airfield in Wendover, Nevada.
Yes, I drove two hours, yesterday, to see an aircraft that will be in my back yard today.
If you did not know, the Wendover Airfield is where the crew of the Enola Gay trained for its fateful date with history.

I am saving the big reveal of the entire aircraft for tomorrow.
Today I am camping out on my lunch hour to try and get a shot of this beauty flying into Elko. I get goose bumps just thinking about it.
The roar of four of these huge engines will fill my ears as this magnificent aircraft comes in for a landing.
You can even take a ride on her, 45 minutes of heaven in the sky.
Unfortunately, for me, this time around I will only be a spectator.

At the end of the week there will be a special treat.
I will post a picture of me beside this aircraft when I first encountered it back in 1985... I had hair back then, lots of it! LOL!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Another great photo - looking forward to the complete picture tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a real step back into the past with the vibrancy of modern day imagery.

    ReplyDelete